Saturday, October 27 2012
10 Tips for Good Web Design
- Put the name of your organization and your logo on the top of each page.
- Write straightforward and simple headings and page titles that make sense and are SEO friendly.
- Set up the web page to facilitate scanning by using groupings, subheadings, bullets, bold text, and highlighting so that users can quickly get the gist of the page at a glance.
- Do what everybody else does! If most big websites do things a certain way then follow their example since your users spend their time on other websites and will expect things to work on your website that they do on other websites. (Don't try to reinvent the wheel)
- Don't distract or annoy visitors with:
- distracting animation
- blinking or scrolling text
- pop up windows
- links that go to new windows
- music that autoplays
- slow loading pages
- Focus on creating valuable content.
- Optimize images before uploading to your website. There are plenty of free online image optimizers. Keep images under 25KB.
- Use standard font families
- Limit the number of fonts to 2 or 3 at the most.
- Use Serif fonts for headlines and Sans Serif fonts for text.
- Clear and easy navigation. Don't make your users think. Make it easy for people to find what they're looking for.
- Mind the gaps! Pay attention to consistent spacing between your elements and use white space effectively.
Contact the SiteHatcher Support Team for help creating a website that gets results.